Saturday 4 January 2014

Walk...Run...Run!!!

"Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." ~ Dean Karnazes

To say I was a wreck this past week would be an understatement.  I was out Sunday afternoon and could feel a 'tickle' in my lungs and a headache hovering within my entire skull.  Hmmm...  I take pride in the fact that I listen to my body and knew my body was telling me something.  I had fought off cold symptoms most of the Christmas break, but this was something different.

I used to boast 'I don't get colds or flus' and really, I don't.  Or didn't...

I went home and took it easy.  I figured this would be like everything else, I would just get a few mild symptoms that I could sleep off and all would be well.   That evening I was tossing and turning so badly I decided to go out to the couch so I didn't wake my sweet M.

Brr, I thought.  Why can't I warm up.  I had the serious chills.  So I wrapped my head in a fleece blanket, put another blanket around my shoulders and piled blankets on the rest of my body.  This in addition to my wearing fleece pi's.  And I was still shaking.

This was not a good sign.

I didn't sleep well.  After my sweet M woke up to go to work, I slithered into our bed.  Ugh...I hurt.  Everything hurt.  No, not hurt...it ached.  Everything ached and it was really really hot.  I was starting to worry that I would be a victim of spontaneous internal combustion!  At some point my body's defence kicked in and I passed out, thankfully.  When I woke up I went online and did a search on cold vs flu symptoms.

Aches - check
Fever - check
Cough - check
Runny nose - check

It was official.  I had the flu.

Things, of course, only got worse as then tend to do in the midst of fighting a virus.  I will spare you the details as I am sure they are the same details many who have fought the flu this season are aware of and don't want to relive.  Let's just say though that changing your pi's three times in one night because you have sweat through them when doing absolutely nothing is really quite icky.

Aside from a trip to the doctor to make sure I didn't have bronchitis or pneumonia settling in too, I kept myself inside and away from people for five days.  In addition to not wanting to spread anything, I was worried my formerly robust, yet now wimpy, immune system might pick up some other horrid virus.  I don't do 'sick' well and wanted to get better asap.

This morning I decided it was time to sneak in a little exercise.  To not exercise for five days straight is bizarre to me.  I thrive on working out and I live for my runs through the woods.  Today I NEEDED to get outside and into my happy place.  It was time.

I started to coach myself as I got ready...

Okay Sus, no going crazy out there.  You just spent the better part of a week either in bed or on the couch in a state of delirium.  You still have a bit of a cough and have asthma, so you don't want to do something that would compromise how good you are finally feeling. You have nothing to prove. You don't have to go out there and run your normal route or at the same speed.  In fact, you should walk.  Just walk.  Even though you are putting on your running gear, don't run.  Well, maybe toss in a few running steps just for the heck of it.  But whatever you do, don't run...

Those of you who know me know where this is going...

I went outside and took a hesitantly deep breath.  There was a tickle, but I didn't cough.  This is good.   I started walking.  Geez it was a bit cooler out then I thought.  I then gave thanks that I don't live anywhere that it's minus a billion right now!  I thought of running.  But I didn't.  I had a decent pace going.  I walked around my neighbourhood on the same route I usually run.  But I didn't run.

Up the hill I went and turned right.  Here we go...the trailhead.  I could feel my spirits soar.  Once in the trees I thought, 'Maybe I will just run easy on the downhill...'  So I started to run.  Huh, that doesn't feel too bad.

A huge dog came by to say hello.  I gave him a good scratch behind the ears and said hello to its owner and kept going.  I got to an uphill.  Well, maybe I will just chi run up it...

It's quite a long hill, but my breathing wasn't out of control so I figured I would run until the suspension bridge then turn around.   I got to the suspension bridge then thought, 'It's so beautiful in here, maybe I will just run to 30ft pool...but not the stairs!'  So I ran...

I got to the stairs and thought, 'Well, I should just do the loop.  It's not that much farther and I can walk slowly up the stairs...'  So up I went.  200 + stairs.  They went much quicker than normal for some reason.

And I kept going that way through the trails.  You know what?  It was GLORIOUS!  My spirit needed to be out there and I needed to run.  I made my way home, running the whole darn way.  What was supposed to have been a walk with some teeny tiny spurts of running was a five minute walk and 55 minute run.  Ooops.

I make no apologies.  I am a runner and I love being in the trees.  Once in their I throw all caution to the wind and become a long haired leaping gnome!  It's like I can't help it!  (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Thankfully I still feel well and I promise to rest the remainder of the day.  Honest...

Peace out my lovelies...

1 comment:

  1. Oops indeed. I suppose we should all be happy it wasn't 2 hours. With a weight session after. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete