Sunday 8 June 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

I had a three hour bike to do today. I wanted to go outside, alas, it was not to be. Again. I am trying not to complain about the rain. I am trying to think sunshine. I keep thinking if we all start thinking about sunshine it will happen. SO STOP TALKING ABOUT THE RAIN PEOPLE!! Oh, and, uhm, I'll stop writing about it...

I decided to do 10 and 5's on the bike, which was firmly affixed to my trainer, which was located in my dungeon. I was going to pedal for 10 minutes in a challenging gear to reach the heart rate that I want to be at for IMCDA. For 5 minutes I'd spin fairly easy. I was pedaling along my merry way when I hit wall number one at 1:14 hours. I thought to myself, just stay on the bike for another 16 minutes and then you can stop if you really, really want to.

At 1:30 hours I thought that I was half way, so I should just suck it up, then I remembered that I shouldn't be thinking so far ahead. Instead, I should think in terms of the sets. "Just one more set", I'd think. A set would go by, then another, and another. Tick, tock, tick, tock... pedal, pedal, pedal...

At two hours the second wall hit. I thought to myself, I should get the phone and call Mum. I can chat with her while I pedal. Then reality hit. I wouldn't be cycling at the pace and exertion level I needed to if I was chit-chatting with me Mum. Plus, I'd have to get off the bike to get the phone and that would mean that ride time would stop and this would really drag things out. Therefore, my butt stayed firmly planted on the seat.

I kept pedaling. Wall number three came at 2:30 hours. This time it was our dear IronGreg that I was going to call. Then I remembered why I didn't call Mum and applied that theory to why I wasn't going to get off the bike to get the phone to call to bug Gregory. Sigh. FINE! I will sit on this *(&$##@!! uncomfortable seat for another half hour. I'm dutch/scottish, which translates into being double stubborn. Oh, and determined. I could SO do this. Grumble, grumble.

So I did it. I managed to keep my butt somewhat firmly planted on my bike on my trainer. At least most of the time I did. Sometimes I'd stand up to pedal pretending I was on a glorious hill surrounded by wonderful scenergy.

Thankfully that was my last longish ride that I'd have to do indoors. I have a few more rides left before the big day, but they are super short. Plus, I just know the next time I ride it's going to be sunny and beautiful out!!!

Peace out my friends!

4 comments:

  1. So good that that is the last longish indoor ride!! It is so unfair now that we have been out and cycling in the sunshine to have to go back indoors, eh?

    Sounds like your inner mountain goat peeked out too, as you stood up to climb those hills. I'm curious -- what is the conversation between your mountain goat and gerbil sound like? Hmmm -- maybe something like this:

    Gerbil: Not going into the dungeon, Susi -- You are descending into a 3 hour period of bliss. You can do this. You are strong. What do you think, Billy?

    Billy the Mountain Goat: Baaaaaa! (Do they make that sound? LOL!!) I don't care; I wanna climb a hill! Baaaaaa!

    Gerbil: Okay Susi, you can't get off your bike even though you are getting distracted. Just stay on and focus a bit at a time. You can do this!

    Billy: Baaaaaa! I wanna climb another hill!! Baaaaa!

    LOL!!!!!!!!! Have a great day Susi!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect the gerbil was the one suggesting she get off the bike and do something else, make calls, ect. Personally, I think the gerbil is a bit of a troublemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you possibly put the Mountain Goat in your T1 bag and have the Gerbil for your T2 bag? That way they both feel like they're contributing??? I'd think the Gerbil would be a good distraction on the run. Mountain Goat, well that one's obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO - yeah put one in each T bag. Put the goat on speed and the gerbil on valuim. :)

    Julie - sometimes i wonder what the hell goe son inside your head just like I wonder about what goes on inside Susi's. Too funny. You wrote a play :) I could see it playing out!

    ReplyDelete