Thursday 5 February 2009

It's Too Early To Think!!!

As always during the week I was up before the sun. On Tuesdays and Thursdays it's pretty easygoing though as I don't have to get into a vehicle and drive while half awake to the pool. Nope, this morning I just had to make sure I could get my legs and brain awake enough so I could navigate the two flights of stairs into the dungeon. Then I groggily got on my bike and slowly woke up through the warm up.

This morning; however, I would be asked to use my brain before it was fully functioning. This could be dangerous. I was happily spinning along while perusing my workout plan. Five minutes easy spin. Check. Single leg drills. Check. Gear Pyramid. Whoa! What the....

Gear Pyramid?? The next bit said 90-100 rpm at 39/21: 2min, 39/19: 2min, 39/17: 2min, 39/16: 2min, 39/17: 1min, 39/19: 1min, 39/21: 1min. Oh for pete's sake. For one thing there are far too many numbers on this page. Secondly, which gear is 39??? Not to mention which of my back cogs is 21, 19, 17 and 16?!

Sigh. I should know this. I should know what is on my bike. I do know that I think I have a compact crank. At least I'm sure I heard that term thrown about regarding my bike. Well, there is nothing left to do but get off my bike and attempt to count the little nobby thingys on the cogs. Now how to remember where I started... 1, 2, 3...

For starters I learned that my cranks are 50/34. (At least that part was stamped on the cranks!) I guess I'll just stick with the 34 then? Next the tricky part. Counting the back cogs. Needless to say I counted wrong, as I know now after having done some research on what the heck they are. So I started one cog higher up than I should of. C'est la vie, non?

Once that little business was done and I was fully alert it was time for the fun stuff. Low cadence (50-60 rpm) for two sets of 4x4. After each four minute rep I was to do a minute of squats, no easy spinning after either!

If you must know I was in the 50/13 and 50/12 gears for the workout. Yes, it was hard. I am sure I could have filled a bucket with all the sweat coming off of me. All that said, it felt really good! Apparantly I am a sucker for punishment.

I have an inkling that I'll be feeling this workout tomorrow. I did feel it a bit when I had to walk up the stairs later on...

I managed to squeeeeeze some core work in as well. Nothing too much, but I'm hoping by doing this I can get rid of this niggly in my low back. I hate nigglies...

Peace out my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Funny post-hope you get rid of that niggly!

    I have no idea what you're talking about with those gear ratios. In fact, I got dizzy while reading that paragraph-thanks for the explanations and you are a true guru to figure it out on your own!

    ReplyDelete