Wednesday, 9 January 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy!!!

Okay, so I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed at the moment...and it's only Wednesday! I started my new job this week, and it's my first real week of IMCDA training. My commute to work has increased to two hours a day, and I'm trying to figure out the bus and train system to see which would get me to where I need to be fastest, and which routes will get me to where I need to be, and what I need to bring to work, and what activity I will be doing for the day.... DEEEP BREATHE!!! Oh and did I mention I made a career change so I'm trying to learn as fast as I can everything I need to do in the new job?! BREATHE , BREATHE!!

Needless to say, I missed my run tonight. I know, I know, I feel HUGE shame. But I had something to do after work and by the time it got home it was late and I was just damn tired!! I don't skip workouts often when I'm in training mode, so I'm not to worried. This won't be a habit.

So, as for training, yesterday was a friggin long day. I was up at 4:55am to get to the train, which was going to take me to the pool so I could go to my swim class.

It was great to be back in the pool! Guess what?! I CAN MIRACULOUSLY DO FLIPTURNS!! I have no idea why, but I actually was the right distance from the pool edge and flipped and could push off and everything! It was awesome.

It was a good workout for the first swim of the year. We did the usual 600 m warmup (swim/kick/pullbouy), then did some drills for a few hundred meters. After that it was time for some sprints. We did 10 x 50 m on the 1:10 minutes. I felt really strong, which is a good start. Jen wanted me to watch my kick pattern. Apparantly it's 'unique' as she said, haha. I'm sure we can all read in to that a million ways! We finished off with some backstroke and breaststroke.

After a long workday I made it to IronGreg's spin class. By then I was already getting tired an yawning. See, this is what happens when you take 3 weeks off for holidays then just jump right into training and a new job!!

The class was great, as usual, with a good amount of challenge to it. We warmed up with one legged pedaling and spin ups. Then we did two sets of 4 x 2 min at threshold. I think my legs were still a bit tired from the weekend, but I managed to get my heart rate where I wanted it. IronGreg was doing his best to keep me from being sleepy by squirting me with water from his water bottle, haha. It was so hot in there the water was actually refreshing!

At the end we did a hill climb to honour Al and Katie who are overseas climbing a mountain!! So very cool.

Tomorrow I'm back in the pool and then going for a run. I'm sure it will take a couple of weeks to get into the swing of things. The good thing is that although I am feeling overwhelmed and am very tired....I'm really happy to be back in training and happy to be at my new job.

That's what really counts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment