Friday 27 July 2007

Freak N Fast....

Today was a swim day so I got up before the sun and headed to the pool. I was excited to try out the new swim cap that Leslie bought me. She got it to celebrate my swimming improvement this year, which was such a totally sweet thing to do! I absolutely love it because there is a red piranha on the side with flames coming off of it and the caption reads "Freak N Fast". I'm definately a freak and I'm doing my best to get fast! haha. So it's a very fitting cap.

On todays agenda were 6 sets of 300 m, plus a 200 m cool down. The fun part of the swim was that I was to do 1 set swim, 1 set pull buoy, 1 set paddles and pull buoy - then repeat once more. It's always fun when you can change things up.

I have to tell ya, the first time I heard 'pull buoy', last year, I thought the coach said 'pool boy'. All I could think was, "You want me to put what between my knees??? What kind of establishment is this anyways?!" HAHA!

As for todays swim, well it should be fun...I've never used paddles before!

The first set started off well enough...but not long into the sets my mind began to wander. Some of the thoughts that went through my wee mind as I swam the various sets...
  • I'm hungry....
  • Grab the pool edge and turn...
  • I really need to learn those darn flip turns!
  • 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 and 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
  • Keep your head looking down...
  • Yay, paddle set is up next....
  • Yikes, how do I use these things...
  • Ahahaha...Oh! Water up nose...no laughing under water!!
  • Oh crikey! I can't grab the pool edge with the paddle...slap, slap...GLUB!
  • Well that was interesting...
  • Focus on technique Suse....
  • Hmm...what are those two girls yapping about in the middle of the pool? CATFIGHT! haha, Not!
  • Dammit, what lap am I on? I really must pay attention...
  • 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 and 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
  • Wait, was that 10, or 8?
  • I wonder if I'll get triceps like Desiree Ficker using these paddles?
  • Oh, wow, that feels weird swimming without the paddles and pull buoy now...
  • Whoa! suck in ribs, we got a whip kicker in the next lane!
  • Holy Hanna! That dude is wearing a neon yellow bikini speedo!! MY EYES, MY EYES!!! hahahahaha!
  • I guess when you are over 70 you can get away with that kind of thing??
  • Damn, water up my nose again....
I tell ya, swimming can be mentally exhausting! Oh well, at least I'm having fun!!

Tomorrow will be a really big training day...Leslie, Tigger and I are cycling 200 km! Yipes... Wish us luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment