Sunday 23 December 2007

Punch, Kick, Punch...

Headed to the gym for a wee workout today. It was one of those days where I needed to blow off some serious steam, so I looked forward to hitting the weights.

I kept it to an upper body day for the most part. Three sets of 12 -15 reps of bench press, seated row, pullups, one arm bench press on the ball, push ups, flys and shoulder rotations. I did all these as super sets. I added in a set of step ups for the legs as well, but as I'd run on Friday and Saturday I decided to pass on the squats or deadlifts.

After all that I had still had some steam to blow off so I headed to the punching bag. I'd seen it in one of the rooms many times, but have yet to give it a go. I actually have several years of martial arts training, but I haven't used it in a while. I figured throwing some kicks and punches would be fun so I put on the gloves and got right to it.

Just for added fun I loaded up LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out" on the mp3 player to start out, LOL. Man did it ever feel good to beat the snot out of the bag!! Kick, punch, kick, kick! Combos left and right. I'd forgotten how much I loved doing that! I was also really impressed with my technique - yup - I still got it!! haha. One thing I did notice was that because my core strength is much stronger than it was then (did they even know about core strength then??!!), I had even more power behind my kicks and punches.

A funny thing about that power....there was a young gent doing some ab work in the same room where the punching bag was. I think I may have startled the fellow as I was hitting and kicking the bag so hard that the entire structure that suspended the bag moved and rocked a bit. Tee hee. It was a great workout - so much so that I think I'm going to add that to my gym visits.

Don't mess with five foot two of fury I tell ya!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susi!!!

    Just a quick note to wish you and your folks a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year!!! 2008 will be a big year for you; Malaysia, Cour-d-laine (SP!?) and a new job!!! So hang on tight, it will be a wild ride!!!!

    Dave R

    PS - I think you had a great time in Revi!!!

    ReplyDelete