Thursday 6 September 2007

The Tattoo....

It all started last year. I knew if I finished Ironman Canada 2007 I'd want to get the M-dot tattoo. However, I didn't want to get the tattoo that everyone else got, afterall, one of my motto's is 'dare to be different!'. (This motto has been with me for years - the parental unit will back me up on this one as they had to deal with having a punk rock daughter when I was a teenager, haha!)

First I decided where I wanted it. I figured my foot would be a great place because I use my feet to kick in the swim, pedal on the bike, and take many, many steps on the run. It didn't matter to me that it wasn't 'out there' for all to see. This was for me and nobody else. (The fact that I'm now boasting about it on a blog though has not been lost on me, LOL.)

So I started to think about what I'd want. I definitely wanted a maple leaf as I'm a proud Canadian and I was going to be doing Ironman Canada. I found an awesome design that I brought into Deano at Deadly Tattoos (figure I should plug his shop as he's a great artist). He took my design and made it even better. The result can be seen on the right.

For the last 10 months I have looked at the blank space in the middle of that maple leaf knowing that one day an M-dot would be added.

Before I left for Penticton I made an appointment with Deano. On September 5th at 6pm I would show up at the tattoo shop the proud finisher of IMC....at least I had hoped I would. LOL.

I have to say there were many things that got me to the finish line on August 26th, one of the bigger things though was the fact that there was no way I was going to have to miss that tattoo appointment!! I WANTED MY M-DOT!

And now I have it!!! I should note that getting tattooed on the top of the foot where there is nothing but skin and bone, is not the most pleasant experience. In fact it is one of the more painful areas to get tattooed. You wouldn't have known that though by looking at me because I had the biggest shite-eating grin there was, haha. (Okay except for when he first started, tee hee). My friend Sk8trboi was kind enough to take some photos of the process of which I have attached for your viewing pleasure.


And the finished product.....




Now THATS an M-Dot!!!





5 comments:

  1. that's an AWESOME tat!!!!i love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are tatoo twins
    i have a maple leaf there toooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone sent me a link to your tattoo, wow, VERY COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a tattoo on the top of my foot...
    a Maple Leaf ... of course!!
    (click on my name to take a peek)

    Love the M Dot... congrats on your Ironman!!

    ReplyDelete