Sunday 5 August 2007

Long Swim...Short Post...

Okay, since yesterdays post was epic...along with the ride, this post will be nice and short.

Headed to the pool to do a 4000 m swim (broken up into 10 x 400 m sets). I admit, I dread these swims. Not because of the distance, but because of the length of time one must go back and forth, and back and forth. Urgh. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that this is what makes you an Ironman, being able to mentally tackle a task such as this and get it done. At least I'll just keep telling myself that.

The pool was quite empty, which was great. Unfortunately for me though the 'flailing' swimmer from last week was there. Damn! I'll just try to keep him in my sights and duck when need be....or brace for the assault. All was well, until he moved into my lane. He was doing just ok with the front stroke, at least he stayed somewhat on one side or the other, but then he switched to back stroke and he was all over the place.

It was at this point I decided to switch lanes to preserve my health. I'm not sure if this was a good move or not, based on the theory 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer' because as I was swimming along my merry way, I narrowly missed the onslaught of his hand! I was just about at the end of the swim when his HUGE paw, with paddle I might add, came kersplooshing in the pool about an inch away from the side of my head. Needless to say, this scared the crap out of me. I didn't say anything, but if he is there next week I may have to use some kind words to tell him to stay in his own lane!!! I want to know too, how a person swim back stroke with there friggin arms coming in the water at the side of them, rather than above there head???? Perhaps I should just slip him the business card of my swim coach....

Other than that drama I managed to finish the sets. I had a good pace for the last ones and with any luck I will be able to keep that pace for IMC. Woohoo!

Let the taper begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment