Monday 6 August 2007

Rest Day...

So it's a holiday Monday and my schedule said to do a 3 hour run. Hmmm... I could really use a day off. I mean a full day off - no work and no training. So I decided to move my run to tomorrow and take today as the rest day.

Let me tell ya, it's not as easy as you think to just rest. I thought I would sleep in, but no this was not to be. I was up early - again. I could really use the sleep too because good sleep (ie 8 hours) has been a little sporadic the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it's because IMC is getting close or what. I know I've been training enough to warrant lots of sleep, but I just haven't been able to stay asleep for more than 6 hours!

So this morning I got up early, fiddled around with my computer - my wireless has been giving me issues, then I ate, then wondered what to do next. I couldn't just sit. It was like I had nervous energy in me. I decided to do some laundry. That took all of two seconds to get going. Hmmm...what to do, what to do. I know, I'll make a cuppa tea, sit and relax! That lasted all of about 10 seconds. Next thing I knew I was updating my cell phone for the next half an hour. haha.

Once that was done I made a few phone calls to catch up with some pals I'd neglected during this last month of training. Finally I started to wind down. In fact, I decided to have a nap. I managed to get about 20 minutes in when the phone rang!

It was all good though as it was Leslie calling to say they were leaving Penticton. Yay, she'd be home today! Oh how I missed my buds this weekend!! They are like family to me so not having them around to chat with and enjoy a day of rest with was somewhat tortureous.

After the phone call and napping I figured I was just not going to be able to relax so I started to putter around the house then went and did the grocery thing.

Honestly, I don't feel like I had a day of rest. I may not have done any training, but I just couldn't get my mind to go quiet, even for a little while. Alas, I think this is the curse of many a triathlete. You train, train, train, and when you get that one day to do nothing, it's almost impossible to just chill out. Maybe it's like when you go on vacation, the first week is convincing yourself that it's ok to relax and the second week is actually relaxing!

I have a feeling the week after IMC I will be more than happy to take a break though....because I likely won't be able to do anything else! LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment